Manufacturing Process Engineer
Posted Mar 16, 2010
This employer requests that only candidates within 100 miles of Charlton, MA apply to this job.
You appear to be located near Ashburn, VA, more than 100 miles from Charlton, MA.
Please be aware of this if you choose to apply for this job.
MANUFACTURING / PROCESS ENGINEER
Fused Fiber Optics company is seeking a Process Engineer to support its Optical Fabrication department. This position will be responsible for process development, optimization and troubleshooting, as well as the preparation of process routers and drawings for the fabrication of glass fiber optic components. A strong background in the forming, grinding and polishing of glass is preferred.
Provides technical support to the manufacturing operation that enhances quality, improves delivery, and reduces costs through product/process improvement, operator training, and equipment selections/installation and prepares process routers and drawings. The individual in this position will troubleshoot and resolve both short term and long term manufacturing problems that impede quality or cost effectiveness. Optimize Mechanical Polishing processes to improve cycle time and throughput yields. Develop and implement new Mechanical Polishing processes for new products into production. Ensure existing and new products can be manufactured on robust and cost-effective processes by optimizing process settings, tooling, and procedures. Additional responsibilities include:
• Background in the forming, grinding and polishing of glass or wafers is preferred.
• Developing, improving, and implementing production/processing methods and business processes that positively impact cost, quality and safety objectives.
• Assisting with the development and administering training on new and existing equipment and products for manufacturing personnel to ensure product/process consistency.
• Participate in management team's tactical/medium range decision-making and planning.
• Assisting with the management of capital projects and provide technical support for the specification, design, purchase, installation, and commissioning of new equipment, retrofits, and tooling.
• Data driven decision making
• Proactive in ability to promptly identify process deviations or new process capabilities.
• Knowledge of glass or silicon wafer manufacturing technologies is preferred.
• Ability to draft procedures and operating instructions for process and equipment.
• Knowledge of metrology and test methodology employed for controlling polishing processes as well as SOI production in general is a plus.
• A Lean/Six Sigma background is preferred.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with operation, equipment and engineering groups as well as presentation to management and occasionally to customers and suppliers.
• Process troubleshooting and devising corrective actions
• Must be a proven team player with good people skills.
• Effective communication
• Desire to improve
• Strive for perfection and balance for priority
• Open minded for inputs and suggestions from others
Requires a BS in Mechanical, Manufacturing or other Engineering required. Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of proven engineering experience, with emphasis on product and/or process development and documentation in a manufacturing environment.